Saturday, October 16, 2010

More from the South.

There's nothing like coming home to an apartment that smells like your delicious dinner, just waiting for you to eat it!

But before I elaborate further on today's dinner, I need to catch up on yesterday's delicious creation.

My illness has gotten better. Well, besides the fact that I'm almost losing my voice (which is always a plus!). So yesterday, I decided to try and work out at the rec. Afterwards, I wanted a snack, so I thought I'd try Heather's flourless crepe recipe, which consists of eggs and baking powder. But then I realized I didn't have baking powder. So instead of making a flourless crepe, I made a whole wheat crepe.

As usual, I was experimenting with amounts, so I have no idea what the proportions are. All I know is that I used whole wheat flour, egg whites, and a teaspoon of oil, and that I added enough egg whites to make sure the batter wasn't too watery, but not too thick either.


I put a small amount of batter in a skillet over medium heat.


Covered the skillet for 3-5 minutes. And...it was done!


I put spinach and 2% mozzarella cheese on this one.


I had just enough batter to make another small one. So I put my homemade coconut butter and homemade fudge on that one!

After it melted, it was like Nutella, but better!

To finish off okra week, I decided to do another southern (US) classic: gumbo. There are several variations to this dish, but I chose to make Vegetarian Okra Gumbo, crock pot style. I also strayed a little bit from the real recipe by not using onions and by adding mushrooms instead.

There are two steps to this recipe.

Step 1 Ingredients:
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 clove garlic
  • celery
  • bell pepper (the recipe calls for green, but I used red)
  • green chili (optional)

All of these ingredients go into the crock pot for 3-4 hours.

Step 2 Ingredients:
  • okra (lots!)
  • 2 tomatoes
  • corn
  • mushrooms
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • basil
  • salt/pepper
  • hot sauce

After these were added, I let the crockpot do its thing for another 3 hours.


This smelled deeelicious. I ate it right away. It's actually supposed to be eaten with rice, but since I still am kind of sick, and I hadn't eaten any soup all week, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to eat it like a soup!


No comments:

Post a Comment