Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pass the crepes.

Breakfast for lunch. I'd love to have breakfast for any time of the day, honestly. But actually, I just could not wait any longer to try out this recipe that I spontaneously came up with yesterday.

And because of last night's lack of cheese, this recipe does include cheese!

Butternut Squash-Filled Flourless Crepes

This could be either savory or sweet, but of course, I chose the sweet route.

Filling Ingredients:
  • Oil (I used coconut)
  • Diced butternut squash
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 heaping teaspoons of ricotta cheese
  • cinnamon (to taste)

First I heated the coconut oil (medium heat) and tossed in the squash.


I waited until the squash browned a bit, and then added ~1/4 cup water. I covered the pot and let it boil. 

About 8 minutes later, the water was gone, and I was left with this.


I let it cool, and then mashed it up in a bowl. (Super easy to mash!) I also added the two spoonfuls of ricotta cheese.


At this point, I decided I wanted the filling to be sweet, so I added cinnamon. Maybe next time I'll add salt/pepper for a savory flavor.

On to the crepes!

I decided to try out Heather's flourless crepes for the first time. I only had one regular egg, so I combined the egg and 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder.


Unfortunately, when I poured this into the pan, it ran all over the place, because there wasn't enough of the "batter." So I added some egg whites to the pan to make a gigantic crepe.


I covered this and let it sit on medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Then I took it off the pan.

Sometimes experimenting poses some problems.

Hello there, flourless crepe with giant burnt hole.

I guess the egg white center cooked a lot faster than the real egg outer portion. Oh well. The show must go on!

I spread the filling into the crepe and rolled it up. 


I attempted to make a maple syrup creamy topping, but it wasn't creamy enough. So I topped it with honey instead, which made it even BETTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment