Thursday, December 23, 2010

Comfort food. Southwestern edition.

What's better on a cold, dreary day than a nice, hot bowl of soup?

If you haven't noticed by now, I need specific occasions to make soup. And by that I mean cold days. And where I'm from, you don't see many of those.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of tortilla soup recipes. I thought I'd try my hand at this. And to combat the cold, I made it really spicy. Sometimes its fun to sweat while you eat.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 jalapeno
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • pepper and Mexican oregano to taste
  • shredded cheese (I used a Monterey/cheddar blend)
  • 1 avocado
  • 1-2 small tortillas

[This makes about 6 servings].

In a pot, saute the cumin seeds and garlic in olive oil. 


Add the vegetable broth. I also added one can of water to make it more dilute.


Add the frozen corn and diced tomatoes. Speaking of diced tomatoes, check out this cool can I found.



Add the jalapeno. I chose to cut big slices and just let it simmer with the broth.


Add the seasonings-- black pepper and Mexican oregano. Cover and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.


 Bake the tortilla(s) until crispy and then cut into strips. Dice the avocado.


Place the tortilla strips in a bowl and pour soup on top. Garnish with shredded cheese and top with avocado slices.


This soup has quite a kick to it, but it is exactly what I was looking for! And another plus is that it is quite hearty. I know I say that about a lot of my foods, but I even tested this by practicing a quick Zumba routine not even one hour after eating two bowls of this soup.


Despite the problems that [the combination of jumping and hot/spicy soup] gave my stomach, I highly recommend trying this recipe, whether or not the weather permits!

No comments:

Post a Comment