Monday, January 10, 2011

The Cabbage Cousin.

Now that winter break is coming to a rapid close, it's DETOX TIME!!!

I'm not actually doing a real detox. What I mean is I need to get back on the health train. And the 6 pack train.

What better way to start a detox than by eating brussels sprouts? When I was younger, I never really understood why people my age didn't like brussels sprouts. I loved when my mom made them! I should have asked for her recipe.

Today, I bought all kinds of things at the grocery store, including a bag of fresh brussels sprouts, a bag of frozen brussels sprouts, swiss cheese, and Smart Balance.


I compared the four different kinds on the shelf and ended up with this one. Also because the other three contained fish oil.

I thought I'd put both the Smart Balance and the swiss to good use for dinner. Hint: grilled cheese.

Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I used the frozen brussels for this recipe, and sauteed them over medium heat with some olive oil.


About 5 minutes later, they had nicely browned.


Then I added 1.5 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar and covered the pot for a few minutes.


To further cook the brussels I added a few splashes of water and covered the pot again until most of the water had been soaked up.


And lastly, I seasoned with salt and pepper.


During this process I was also busy preparing my grilled cheese, with some Smart Balance on both slices of Ezekiel bread.



A complete meal!


Brussels sprouts can taste good. This is just the beginning of brussels sprouts week!!!

1 comment:

A said...

i see from the plates that you are back in tucson...haha i'm such a stalker! see you tomorrow :) (ps the brussels look yummy!)

Post a Comment