Saturday, February 12, 2011

A big portable fail.

I wanted to save the best portable lunch item for the last in the series.

Well... I apologize for the lack of a portable lunch item today. However, the recipe that resulted was just as good. It's just not portable whatsoever.

Let's back it up just a bit.

Yesterday after teaching Zumba, I was told that my Bollywood routines were a hit. I was thrilled! And as a result, I decided to choreograph more Bollywood-based routines. Little did I know that it would happen today. The resulting routine is now on youtube. Click here to see it. If you decide to follow along, just be prepared to be drenched in sweat by the end of the song!!

So what exactly is this portable lunch item that became a big portable fail? I was really looking forward to creating some healthy pizza rolls. Unfortunately, I'm running short on whole wheat flour, and awhile ago I got some garbanzo bean flour. I figured, why not make the pizza crust out of garbanzo bean flour?

It's a super easy way to make a healthy pizza. Garbanzo bean flour is full of fiber and protein and as a result, is quite satiating. However, this crust is definitely not as firm as a regular flour crust, so the "rolls" part of the recipe was not successful. But the pizza part turned out great!

Skillet Pizza

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • desired toppings (tomatoes, cheese, spinach, garlic, etc)

To make the crust, mix the flour, water, and nutritional yeast in a bowl and add the water.


Whisk until the batter is uniform. 


Heat a non-stick skillet on medium, spray non-stick and pour the batter. I decided to make 3 small crusts to ensure successful flipping. 


Wait until the edges start to curl up a little, then flip.


Cook for several more minutes, and then add the toppings. I added canned diced tomatoes (with oregano), chopped basil, bell pepper, and mozzarella. 


I made three small pizzas. And no pizza rolls. But don't worry, the pizza rolls will eventually be made. And they will be healthy!

Speaking of experiments, I decided to try avocado in dessert form again. This time, in cupcake form.

I think it turned out better than I had expected.

Almost Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients: (Makes 3)
  • 1/2 avocado, chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds soaked in 2 tablespoons water (for at least 10 minutes)
  • chocolate chips

Beat the egg in a bowl and add the chopped avocado.


Mash the avocado nicely. 


Add the coconut flour and cocoa powder.


Get your "chia egg" ready by soaking it in water.


It becomes so gelatinous!


Mix it in, and add the chocolate chips.


Prepare your muffin tray by spraying it with non-stick, then scoop in the batter.


Bake at 390F for 15-20 minutes. 


Just the right amount of sweet, and the chocolate chips made it AWESOME.


More avocado experiments to come. And tomorrow will begin another exciting week!

No comments:

Post a Comment