Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Eat your veggies!

Someday, I'll get this shirt.

But until then, I'll just make lots of delicious foods full of veggies. Did you know that greens are full of protein?

Did you also know that flu season peaks in February? I was feeling a little under the weather today, so I made an immune boosting creamy soup. I like to think that it worked its charm immediately!


Eat Your Veggies Creamy Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 sweet potato, cooked and peeled
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
  • 1/2 can crushed tomatoes
  • 6 mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 inch ginger
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • salt and pepper
  • fresh basil, chopped

Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the chopped garlic and ginger. 


When the garlic starts to heat up, add the sweet potato, bell pepper, spinach, and mushrooms. Saute for a few minutes, and then add the crushed tomatoes and basil. 


Allow this to cook for several more minutes, then add the vegetable broth. [Side note: I used a no-salt added vegetable bouillon cube in water instead of vegetable broth, but either works!]


Add the salt and pepper, stir, and allow the soup to boil for several minutes.


Now the fun part--blending! I used a nifty hand blender instead of a regular blender for easy clean-up. 


Blend until smooth.


Enjoy!


I ate my soup with toasted jalapeno cheddar focaccia. Deeelish (and pretty fancy, if you ask me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment