Sunday, February 6, 2011

Guaca--what?

It's kind of a coincidence that I decided to make this on Superbowl day. I didn't actually plan for that to happen.

Earlier this week, I bought some avocados because they, for some reason, were on major sale. I was also planning on making hummus this week. I then thought why not make avocado hummus?!!?

I thought I was sooo innovative. Until I typed this into Google and found that this had already been done. A lot. It's a huge hit.

Oh well, I can still say that I came up with the idea on my own. And I like the name guacahummus. It's a super dip if you ask me. Two already healthy/tasty dips combined into one!

Guacahummus

Ingredients:
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 tablespoon tahini
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil (can add more if necessary)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • salt/pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in the food processor.



Side note: I added the olive oil one tablespoon at a time, usually after pausing to scrape the sides of the food processor. Also, the salt/pepper will vary depending on your taste, so I suggest adding that a little at a time as well.


Creamy! There were some small avocado chunks in the finished product, but that made it even more guacamole-esque.


My Superbowl-inspired lunch. (Just kidding). I tore apart a few small corn tortillas and baked them for about 7 minutes (or until slightly browned). I let them sit out while I made the guacahummus, so by the time I was done, the chips were nice and crunchy!


Can't forget the salsa, either!!

I've been hearing all about homemade coconut cream, from all kinds of bloggers. I decided to take matters into my own hands and try it out for myself. I found coconut flour in bulk so I bought just a small amount to experiment with.

Basically, just combine a spoonful of coconut flour with any kind of milk until the consistency is cream-like. 

Guess what I tried it on? My post-lunch dessert (aka choco crispies)!


It worked so well as frosting! 

Since I'm sure you are in suspense about this week's exciting recipes (heh) I will reveal this week's theme. Everyday this week, I will be featuring a different healthy lunch item that is portable! I've really begun to get bored of my almond butter sandwiches everyday at school, so that's why I'm especially excited.

Also, I love getting feedback from readers! (In fact, the portable lunch idea was suggested by a reader). If you want to see a particular recipe or anything at all, feel free to let me know and I will do my best to post about it!

2 comments:

Sheila said...

hii tulika :) omg i've been wanting to try making coconut cream too! i couldn't find it in bulk at sunflower though-- where can you buy it?!

Tulika said...

I found it at Whole Foods!! I definitely recommend trying it, especially if you like the coconut flavor. :)

Post a Comment