Sunday, March 27, 2011

Calamitous.

Thanks so much to everyone who has entered the cookie dough naming contest! If you've been out of the loop for the weekend, let me catch you up. I decided these "cookie dough" bites need a creative name. Comment on Facebook or on my blog post with your ideas, and the lucky individual whose name I've chosen for my cookie dough bites will receive some free cookie dough bites of their own.

Contest ends tomorrow (Monday) at 6pm! Can't wait to hear more of your creative ideas.

Some irony: I had a whole post planned out yesterday. In fact, I was planning on starting the post with this picture:

Ovens are dangerous.

If only I had known one hour after taking this picture that tripping on the sidewalk is also dangerous.

The number of health/injury-related events that have transpired this week is out of control. I thought I was going to go crazy not working out for three days. Now I will not be working out for at least two weeks.

The reason for telling you this is to let you know that this blog will temporarily be called The Non-Fitness Gourmet. (Insert laughter here).

One more announcement before we get to some food! I was planning on getting a squash for this week, but as a result of aforementioned events, I am unable to cut a squash. So I will be using lots of cans, bagged veggies, and blenders for the recipes. Convenient!

To finish up this week's leeks (and kale)...

"Fried" Couscous with Leeks and Kale

Ingredients:
  • 1 leek (top portion only)
  • 1/2 inch ginger
  • large handful of chopped kale (~1 1/2 cups)
  • soy sauce
  • olive oil
  • black pepper
  • 1/2 cup brown rice couscous

Cook the couscous. Set aside.

Chop the leeks and kale.

By the way, this is Russian kale, which looks a lot different from the regular curly kale!
In a pot, heat the olive oil with the ginger.


Add the leeks and kale.


It looked like overflow was about to occur! But no worries, two minutes later, it looked like this:


Nice. Add the couscous. (I think brown rice couscous is really a good substitute for brown rice, especially in a fried rice-type dish. It's more sticky and hence more similar in texture to white rice).


Stir to incorporate, and add soy sauce, black pepper, and perhaps some chili sauce.


I didn't realize that the top portion of leeks are very similar to onions. Noted.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a massive waffle failure. I thought I'd attempt another spontaneous waffle breakfast this weekend.

Whole wheat waffle topped with blueberry sauce (microwaved frozen blueberries), almond butter, and maple syrup!!
This time only a portion of the waffle stuck to the iron. Partial waffle fail? (This is why we should all just stick to my successful waffle recipes). 

This morning, I made the above waffle in pancake form. It was quite successful!

Batter: 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup chickpea flour, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 2 spoonfuls of yogurt
I got the idea to put chickpea flour in a pancake from Lauren. It was GREAT! So fluffy and didn't taste like garbanzo beans at all. 


Okay--that's it! Can't wait to hear more creative comments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment