Saturday, April 9, 2011

WIAS: Rainy day edition.

WIAS = What I Ate Saturday.

I realize it's supposed to be What I Ate Wednesday. It's okay, you'll see a What I Ate Wednesday post soon (and hopefully on a Wednesday).

Do rainy days make you feel like sitting on the couch and eating all day? Or is that just me? :)

This post is going to be full of food. And a couple of recipes! Here we go.

(In case you are wondering, we are skipping to lunch because I forgot to take a picture of my breakfast!)

Lunch:

Whole wheat tortilla chips + cheese + cooked kale/carrots + avocado + chimichurri + salsa
I made my tortilla chips in the oven, and decided to use the oven for my next meal!

I've had requests to healthify normally unhealthy foods, but no specific requests. (Hint: ideas please!) Today I came up with a good one...if I say so myself. Hopefully you meat eaters approve!


Tofu Hot Wings

Serves 1

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 block tofu
  • 1 slice of whole grain bread, toasted
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt/pepper
  • BBQ sauce/hot sauce

Chop the tofu into rectangular slices, about 1/2 inch thick.


Prepare breadcrumbs by blending the toasted slice of bread in a blender/food processor. Empty onto a plate and add salt and pepper. 


Pour olive oil into a bowl and add a few slices of tofu to absorb the oil.


Then take the slices and coat them in breadcrumb mixture.


Set coated tofu on a baking sheet.


Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Check to make sure the breadcrumbs don't burn!


Drizzle barbecue sauce and hot sauce atop and enjoy!


Totally delicious. I've never actually had real hot wings so I can't tell you if they are comparable, so hopefully you get a chance to try these and then let me know!!

So, since I had the food processor out, I decided to make cashew butter. I'm running low on my SunButter supply and ran out of almond butter awhile ago. (Is it evident enough that I really like my nut butters?)

Cashew Butter

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon honey

Toast the cashews in the oven (350F) for 5 minutes.


After the cashews have cooled, transfer them into the food processor. Blend to a fine powder.


Add the olive oil and blend until the butter begins to form.


Add the honey and then blend, blend, blend.


Sooo nice and smooth and creamy!


I seriously could not wait to eat this. So after consuming the hot wings, I made myself a hearty dessert:

Whole wheat toast with cashew butter and (melty) chocolate chips!!
Oh so yum. I could eat this cashew butter by the spoonful.

Okay now time to get off the couch and start studying. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment