Friday, June 3, 2011

Back in business.

For those of you who tried to access individual posts between yesterday and this morning, I apologize for the technical difficulties!! I've fixed the problem though and we are back in business.

The only problem is that the new comment system I installed a couple of days ago is now gone :(. Hopefully I'll get a new one installed this weekend so I can finally start replying for realz to your comments!

I have so much to discuss today, so let's get to it!

Yesterday, I mentioned going to a Hydro Training class for the first time. I did some Googling and found that water aerobics is actually a very effective workout. Not only is it useful for people with injuries or joint problems because being in the water puts less strain on the body, but it is a good workout due to the fact that more energy is needed to overcome water resistance. More energy used = more calories burned. We did a lot of cardio-type exercises, such as running (both in place and traveling across the length of the pool), knee lifts, and even standing crunches under water. The hardest part was the dumbbells. Dumbbells...made of styrofoam! Unlike regular weight lifting, which involves lifting heavy weights, underwater dumbbells involve strength to keep them from floating. It sounds easy, but it was actually really difficult!! One exercise was similar to plyometrics, and for whatever reason, I could not keep myself from floating up! It was actually pretty amusing.

My verdict? I'd probably do it again. My triceps are pretty sore, which is a good sign. I also really liked using the resistance bands underwater. The added resistance is awesome, if you are similar to me and like feeling pain when you workout :).

In other news, I was planning on making something with the eggplants my dad is growing in his garden. I went to the garden to check them out, and found that they were unfortunately too tiny to use. But so cute!


I also looked at the little tomatoes.


And then went back inside to make today's tomato recipe. Warning: it's fancy!


Potato Stuffed Tomatoes

Ingredients:
  • 8 tomatoes
  • 3-4 red potatoes
  • 1/2 green chili
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 teaspoon cumin-corriander powder
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Wash the tomatoes. Slice the top off of each one and scoop the seeds and juice out. 


Keep the tomato contents in a large bowl.


Microwave the potatoes for about 8 minutes, and let cool. Mash the potatoes (keep the skin on!). After mashing, add the cumin-corriander powder, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Then, combine the mashed potatoes in the bowl with the tomato juice and seeds.

In a small pan, saute the chopped garlic and green chilis in vegetable oil. Add this to the mashed potato mixture.


After mixing thoroughly, spoon the mixture into the hollowed tomatoes. Top with shredded cheese.


Bake at 400F for 25 minutes, or until the cheese has slightly browned.


Need ways to eat your tomatoes? Make this. You won't regret it! Next time I'm going to make this a little spicier, though!!


I think tomorrow we're going to take a break from tomatoes. Maybe. We'll see how I feel post-kickboxing & swim sesh. Yup, I said it. I'm going swimming tomorrow. If you weren't aware, this is a big deal. Update to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment