Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mmm...fibrous.

Update: the comment section works again!! Hopefully it stays that way. And now you will definitely receive email notifications when I reply to your comments. Finally! Yay to that. So go ahead and comment...don't be shy!

I wanted to share with you a snack I made not too long ago. Don't worry, it does not include tomatoes. I think my body is tomato-ed out. Too bad we still have 100,000 more tomatoes left.

I guess having too many tomatoes really isn't that big of a problem.


High Fiber Asparagus Fries


Ingredients:
  • 1 small bunch asparagus, chopped (I used 6 asparagus spears, chopped into halves)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
  • 1-2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • salt & pepper (~1/2 teaspoon of each)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Wash and chop the asparagus. Place the asparagus halves in a bowl and coat with olive oil. Set aside.

In a small plate, combine the flax, parmesan, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper. 


Dip each asparagus half in the flax mixture and coat evenly. Side note: make sure the garlic is chopped more finely than shown in the picture. I made the mistake of thinking that garlic chunks would easily stick to the asparagus. #sorely mistaken

Place the coated asparagus on a baking sheet.


Bake at 350F for about 10-15 minutes. Check frequently! I also made the mistake of leaving the kitchen for long periods of time without checking on these little guys. Learn from my mistakes, please.

These can be taken out of the oven when slightly browned and crisp.


Good thing these turned out deliciously! (Is that a word? If not, it is now).

I dipped these in ketchup. Just like real non-high-fiber fries!


Don't let the flax scare you away! Even though I'm notorious for my flax and fiber obsession, I promise you these are actually tasty. The high fiber is just a bonus, if you ask me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment