Friday, July 29, 2011

#Prettyveggies

Woops...I know I said I'd be posting every day this week. But some things got in the way.

Like couch chillin' and as I mentioned on Facebook last night, watching 90's Nickelodeon tv shows. Can you believe they are finally airing those classic shows again?! I was up late just so I could finish watching All That. What a hilarious show. I even tweeted about it. Hashtags and all! If you weren't aware, when I tweet, it's a big deal. Because I don't think of myself as trendy enough to be a real twitter user.

Uhhh...that was a strange digression.

Anyway, I had about 1/4 of that large jicama left over, and had no plans whatsoever for it. I was maybe thinking about making a kale salad and somehow including the jicama. But my mom was making sambar today (!!) and asked me if she could use the jicama for it. So there goes the rest of the jicama. And unfortunately, I wasn't documenting her sambar recipe, so I guess we're all out of luck. The good news is, she gave me permission to document her cooking the next time she makes dal.

The point is, we won't be discussing jicama today. Instead, I'd like to introduce you to something really cool I stumbled upon at the store the other day.

PURPLE CAULIFLOWER!


I really wanted to do something exciting with this. I hope you like what I came up with.


Cauliflower Lasagna Millet Bake

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked millet
  • 1 purple (or regular) cauliflower
  • ricotta cheese
  • shredded colby jack cheese
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 small cans tomato paste
  • 3 small cans tomato juice (each can is 5.5 oz)
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 teaspoons chopped basil (or frozen basil)
  • salt/pepper/oregano

Cook the millet by boiling it with 2 cups water. Set aside.

Chop the cauliflower and put it in a microwave safe bowl with a splash of water. Then, cook it by microwaving it for about three minutes.


Steamy!

In a large pot, combine the olive oil, tomato paste, tomato juice, water, and seasonings. The tomato juice I used looks like this:


Heat all ingredients over low on the stove.


The consistency should be similar to a regular tomato sauce, but taste-wise should be a bit more tomato-y!

Add the cauliflower to the sauce.


Lightly grease a large baking dish, and then spread about half of the millet mixture in it. Top with desired amount of ricotta.


Pour the sauce mixture over the millet base, and then layer with more millet, sauce, and ricotta.



Top with shredded cheese, cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes.


Serve with salad or soup. (Soup recipe coming up in a different post!)


I thought purple cauliflower would taste different from white cauliflower. It actually doesn't, but at least it looks pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment