Sunday, July 31, 2011

Segues (and segways).

Have you ever driven through an Arizona rain storm?

I know what you're thinking. You're wondering why I'm asking such an unnecessary, oxymoronic question.

They are real. Arizona rain storms. They exist! Okay, now that that's out of the way, let me tell you about driving through one.

Scary is an understatement. I almost saw my life flash before my eyes when I was unable to see the car in front of me...despite the fact that its headlights were on. I hope that paints a nice picture for you. Let's also quickly discuss the fact that I saw 14 tumbleweeds flying across the highway when the visibility level had slightly improved.

So...about those rainy days. All you want is soup, right?

Oh wait. I also forgot the fact that the storm ended quite abruptly and suddenly the ominously clouded sky transformed into a crisp, clear, sunny day in a matter of seconds.

Yeah. I would have laughed, but I'd just survived traumatizing events.

So...about those sunny days. All you want is something cold and refreshing, right?

But wait! What if you could have a cold and refreshing soup to satisfy both those rainy day and sunny day cravings?!

(Best segue ever, don't you think?)


Chilled Star Squash Soup

Gluten-free & easily made vegan

Ingredients:
  • 1 star squash
  • 2 cups water + more if necessary
  • 1 cup milk (use unsweetened almond milk to make vegan)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt/pepper/oregano/parsley 

Cook the star squash beforehand by piercing it a few times with a fork and microwaving it for 5 minutes. Then, chop it up. 

Pour the olive oil into a large pot and add the garlic. Heat over medium on the stove for a minute and then add the chopped star squash and salt. Toss to ensure that the squash does not stick to the bottom of the pot. 


Add the water and milk and then stir. I heated it up until the mixture became foamy, then I turned off the stove. 


Add the rest of the seasonings and then let cool. 

Blend the mixture either with a regular blender or an immersion blender.


Serve chilled!


Preferably alongside some cauliflower millet bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment