Monday, August 15, 2011

Thai my tie.

Back during my undergrad days (insert chuckles here), my friends and I used to get free Thai food. One of the engineering professors would graciously cook an authentic Thai meal every Friday and we would plan our lunch plans around it. It was awesome. Unfortunately, Thai Fridays turned into Thai Every Other Friday which then turned into Non-Existent Thai Friday. Apparently free Thai food became a little too popular. I wonder why.

I was really disappointed that Thai Fridays ended so abruptly, especially because I'd never had the chance to ask the professor for her recipes.

The other day, David and I had a mini foodie swap. I received some kaffir lime leaves, and I had never seen or heard of them before. After David told me he uses them for Thai cooking, I decided to consult my BFF Google for some more ideas.


At least now I know the difference between green, yellow, and red curry?

And now I know how to make green curry!!


Thai Green Curry

Ingredients:
  • 4 kaffir lime leaves, cut into thin strips
  • 3 tablespoons frozen lemongrass
  • 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 3 teaspoons cumin-corriander powder
  • ~1 cup chopped cilantro
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 inch ginger
  • 1-2 green chilis (depending on spice tolerance)
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 block tofu (or 1 block if desired)
  • 1 bag frozen stir-fry vegetables

In a blender, combine 2 lime leaves, lemongrass, soy sauce cumin-corriander powder, cilantro, garlic, ginger, green chilis, and 2 tablespoons coconut milk. Blend until a paste forms.


I know. It's not the most attractive looking paste, but it seriously has the most fantastic smell EVER.

In a large pan or tall-walled skillet, heat the vegetable oil and tofu cubes on medium. 


When the tofu has slightly browned, add the rest of the can of coconut milk and the curry paste.

Stir until all of the curry paste is incorporated. Add the other two lime leaves.


Then add the frozen vegetables.


Keep cooking until the vegetables are cooked and soft. Serve with brown rice.


After eating this, I now know that I can have my own Thai Fridays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment