Monday, August 8, 2011

Toma...tillers?

I can't believe how much feedback I received on the upma recipe I posted yesterday. Mostly because I had no idea you were that interested in Indian food!! Noted. :)

I would provide you with another Indian recipe today, but I'm opting for one of my favorites: enchiladas. 


I realize you're probably sick of seeing enchiladas on this blog by now, but enchiladas are one of my favorite foods! They fall under the easy to make and healthy categories. And contrary to popular belief, you don't even have to turn the oven on to make them!! 

These are 100 times simpler than any of the other enchiladas I've posted in the past. And I made my own enchilada sauce...again! This time, I made a green enchilada sauce.

So. Easy. To. Make. 

The only thing is, you have to find some tomatillos. It's worth it, though! (I got them at Food City).


Green Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 10 tomatillos
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 jalapeno (or more if you like it spicy!)
  • cilantro
  • salt

Tomatillos! Peel, rinse, and chop them. Beware: they are sticky! It's kind of strange.


Heat up the oil with the chopped garlic and cumin seeds and then add the chopped tomatillo and some salt.


Then add the water, chopped jalapeno, and chopped cilantro. 


Allow the mixture to boil and stir frequently. When the tomatillos have softened, turn the heat off and let it cool. Then, using a regular or immersion blender, blend until the sauce is...well, a sauce-like consistency. I left it a little chunky just to give it some texture.


You're wondering how I made enchiladas without an oven?

It's a little too simple. Just heat up the tortillas on a skillet, spread beans (or refried beans) of choice on the tortilla, add some shredded cheese, and roll it up. Pour enchilada sauce on top and add more cheese if desired.


If you really want that cheese melted on top, that's what a microwave is for! And of course, you could always add more veggies inside. But sometimes, a cheese enchilada is where it's at. YaknowwhatImean? 

Tomorrow I'm trying feta cheese inside these enchiladas. This could be really hit or miss. Who wants to take bets on the outcome?

No comments:

Post a Comment