Monday, January 16, 2012

Bring on the appetite.

I hope you came hungry. This is going to be a food-filled post. And fun-filled, of course!

Because this isn't supposed to be a food blog or anything.

I've been spending lots of time in the kitchen lately. Not because I'm trying to nurture my inner chef, but because I have a really bad habit of buying everything in sight when I'm at the grocery store, and I have to somehow use up everything in the fridge before it goes bad.

Quite the problem, if you ask me. 

One such item I bought was three avocados (3 for $1! What a steal). I decided against making guacamole because the thought of mashing the avocados did not sound pleasant. So I got creative.


At least, I like to think I was being creative. Either way, this is now one of my favorite concoctions. Hummus + avocado inside a tortilla. Sounds dry, but it's actually quite creamy and so delicious! I've been taking this to work, but one night for dinner I decided to take it to the next level...

A hummus quesadilla!! With a side of avocado and salsa.


Make this. You won't regret it.

In other news, I'd been wanting to make jalapeno poppers for so long. I finally made it happen, and it's easier than I ever expected it to be.

First, I de-seeded and halved the jalapenos. Then, I mixed together one box of cream cheese, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, and a handful of chopped cilantro, and scooped it into my make-shift piping bag.


(Make-shift piping bag = Ziploc with corner cut off. It did the job). I piped the cream cheese mixture into the jalapeno halves, and then topped each with grated cheddar.


I baked these for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. 


Somehow in the midst of my excitement of making jalapeno poppers, I forgot to take an after picture. Luckily I made these again a few days later with some gigantic peppers!


Easy and impressive dish to make for a potluck. Just saying.

So another thing I picked up spontaneously whilst at the grocery store was this:


Largest butternut squash of my entire life. I don't know why I even bought it. I obviously was not thinking about having to cut it. But somehow, I made it happen with my miniature knife.


I roasted about half of the squash with olive oil and salt, and made a pseudo stew with it.


I don't really like the word stew, but there is no other word to describe this. I combined the following in a large pot:
  • 1 can vegetable broth
  • cubed/peeled/roasted butternut squash
  • mushrooms
  • broccoli
  • asparagus
  • cooked quinoa
  • salt/pepper/nutritional yeast

Super simple.


Even better with some cheese and crushed red pepper. Can you tell I've been really on a cheese kick lately? Cheese and I go through phases together.


TFG recommends: This interesting article -- Dancing makes you smarter?!

No comments:

Post a Comment