Sunday, June 17, 2012

Move Over, Chipotle.

Warning: the following statement may be a shocking one.

Lately, I've been craving a Chipotle burrito bowl. 

I actually would have made the effort to purchase one, but the quickly aging produce in my fridge makes me feel really guilty about eating out. But seriously, those burrito bowls are not only delicious but so satisfyingly hearty. Note: I never include rice in my burrito bowls, so it's basically a gigantic hearty salad. Yum.

Anyway, I decided that for this week's dinners, I would prepare my own burrito bowls (with a side of quesadillas, because I cannot get enough quesadillas in my life). The following is a Tulika-style burrito bowl makeover, and I was pretty happy with the outcome. 


Instead of using tempeh or Morningstar crumbles for additional protein, I thought I'd try something new. My secret ingredient for this bowl was this:


I got this from an Indian store, and I have no idea if it is available anywhere else (potentially an Asian store?), but this was a complete experiment. I boiled a cup of this in 4 cups of water, drained the water, and the texture looked like this:


I added half of the soy to a can of black beans, ~3/4 cup frozen corn, a handful of cilantro, and 1 chopped jalapeno. 


I seasoned this mixture with a teaspoon of low sodium taco seasoning and the juice of half a lemon. Another option for seasoning would be salt, pepper, Mexican oregano, and cumin seeds.

For building the bowl...

First start with a generous helping of greens. I used a combination of spinach, arugula, and romaine lettuce.


Add sliced avocado or a spoonful (or two) of guacamole.


Add a few spoonfuls of the bean mixture.



Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and shredded cheese.


Optional: add more taco seasoning, or a salad dressing of choice.

And there you have it, your own burrito bowl. The possibilities for mix-ins are endless! If you come up with something of your own, I'd love to hear your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment