Sunday, July 29, 2012

Of Food Trucks and Spinach.

Have you ever been to a food truck? I hadn't until recently, and I am on a mission to try as many as possible.

Today, I went to the grocery store to do my usual Sunday groceries, and guess what was in the parking lot? A food truck. The best part about food trucks is the unique food that one normally would not find at a regular restaurant.

This particular food truck was an H-E-B food truck with burgers, tacos, and some sides. On the menu was a samosa burger...which I obviously was drawn to.


The patty had a samosa-like texture on the inside with potatoes, etc and a crispy outer layer. I was a fan, and was sweating away due to the spiciness (and due to the humidity).

In other news, I have been battling the greens in my fridge for quite some time. Last week, I bought a 2.5 lb bag of spinach. I came up with an effective way to eat my greens, though.


With curry quinoa and lentils! I cooked lentils and added some ground cumin and coriander, turmeric, salt, and pepper. I then added the cooked quinoa to the lentils and added some lemon juice to the combination and a bit more salt. This tasted great on its own, but worked even better as a salad topper.

I have been eating so much quinoa lately, it's ridiculous. Last week, I made a quick pasta sauce using canned diced tomatoes (fire roasted!), garlic, olive oil, sautéed kale, and oregano. Instead of eating this with pasta, I used quinoa, and instead of cheese, I mixed in some nutritional yeast.


The pasta was not even missed!

Along with the great spinach battle, I was also battling spinach's favorite cousin, kale. While I do love kale, it is quite difficult to handle it raw. I paired it in salad form with some shredded Brussels sprouts, and dressed it with a combination of mustard, vinegar, and olive oil, and topped it with dried cranberries and chopped pecans. The winner here was the dried cranberries. They made the raw kale much more tolerable!



For this week, I am trying to incorporate radishes, which I don't think I have ever cooked with! Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment